In less than 24 hours after the Apiate community in Bogoso of the Western Region has been wiped off by the explosion, Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has promised the victims and residents that the government would make a quick intervention and rebuild news houses for them.
The Vice president made the promise when he led a government delegation to the area on Friday, 21st January 2022 in order to assess the situation.
Dr Bawumia however commended the security services including police, fire, military and officers from NADMO, for their swift rescue response to the disaster scene.
“So the government on his part is going to do everything to support the families of the injured. Thankfully, the ambulance service has played a major role in the rescue efforts that were very well coordinated by the security services.
“We are also looking at how all those injured are taken care of. Some have been sent to Tarkwa, Kumasi and some would be sent to Accra to get the best care. For the houses that have been destroyed, we are beginning to think about how to rehabilitate and rebuild. I have already spoken to the State Housing Corporation in consultation with mining companies, we will put in place facilities for the displaced persons,” he assured.
Dr Bawumia also assured the residents that the government would fully be engaged in every process in giving the community the best of care.
He said before an investigation commenced the government is more concerned, about “how to complete the rescue efforts, how to take care of the injured, families and people who have survived. So we are going to work collaboratively to make sure that all of that is happening.”
The government has said 17 people have so far been confirmed dead in the explosion which occurred at Appiatse, along the Bogoso- Bawdie road in the Western Region.
A government statement also noted 59 people were injured in the explosion.
“A total of seventeen (17) people have, sadly, been confirmed dead, and fifty-nine (59) injured persons had been rescued, bringing to seventy-six (76) the number of persons known, so far, to have been affected by the tragedy.
“Out of the fifty-nine (59) injured persons, forty-two (42) are receiving treatment and some in critical condition.
“Early reports indicate that several houses and structures in sections of the town have been destroyed and plans have been put in place to ensure that stranded community members are catered for in the coming days,” portions of the statement noted.
What caused the explosion in the Apiate Bogoso accident?
The driver of the transporting vehicle, upon reaching the area, reportedly collided with a motorcycle.
After stepping out, the driver reportedly saw fire in the vehicle and rushed to alert people in the community to run to safety.
The fire reportedly escalated and the explosives in the vehicle detonated killing many and causing extensive damage.
The police statement reads:
“We urge all to remain calm as we manage this unfortunate situation,” the Police said in a statement.
“Full details will be communicated in due course,” the police statement added.
“The public has been advised to move out of the area to nearby towns for their safety while recovery efforts are underway,” “An appeal is also being made to nearby towns to open up their classrooms, churches etc to accommodate surviving victims.”
The police have confirmed that preliminary investigation has established that a mining explosive vehicle moving from Tarkwa to Chirano mines collided with a motorcycle resulting in the explosion.
Most of the victims have been rescued and are on admission at various hospitals and clinics within the Bogoso Municipality.
Reinforcement of resources and personnel have been dispatched to the area to assist in the handling of the incident.
“We continue to urge the public to remain calm as we manage the situation. Further updates regarding the emergency evacuation of the injured will be communicated in due course,” it added.
Send your news stories and articles to email@example.com or via WhatsApp +233 0543 900 732